|Core Policy||EBC-S Change||Date Effective|
|EEAG - Student Transportation In Private Vehicles|
FOR ATHLETICS: District-arranged school buses will be used for the transportation of student-athletes for weekday games. For weekend competitions, the following transportation will be allowed:
Policy EBC- Supplemental
The Andover School Committee recognizes the resulting disruption of the traditional school day and year; concerns of students, families, APS staff, and the community; and the potential for issues to continue impacting public education, all as a result of the COVID-19 emergency declared by the Governor.
This Policy EBC-S and actions taken as a result of this policy shall apply during the time that such declaration of emergency is in place and shall terminate as soon as practical following the expiration of such declaration, taking into account pragmatic factors as to when such underlying actions may reasonably be terminated.
Therefore, the school committee establishes an emergency, interim policy to:
- promote public safety and safety of students, faculty, and staff;
- maintain to the extent possible the high and efficient level of educational services;
- ensure support for students in general and in particular for those at highest risk educationally, socially, and/or economically;
- comply with the emergency orders of the governor;
- adhere to the extent possible, to guidance from the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education and other agencies of the state and federal governments; and
- expedite the safest strategies for the return of students to school.
Policy development in a modern, forward-looking school system is a dynamic, ongoing process. New challenges, issues, and needs give rise to the continuing need to develop new policies or to revise existing ones.
In December 2018, the Andover School Committee completed a comprehensive review of each district policy making the necessary modifications to address new issues requiring a policy position, updates to remain in compliance with legal requirements, and other considerations of the sitting committee.
The School Committee, with assistance and recommendations from its policy subcommittee, is tasked with ensuring that this manual remains current and with the assistance of the Superintendent's office ensures that as policy changes are adopted, these will be communicated to the Andover Public School community.
In conjunction with the policy review project, the Andover School Committee has adopted this online, searchable manual to enable improved accessibility to the district's policies.
By law, a hard copy of this document is also maintained for public reference in the Superintendent's Office.