West Elementary School Building Committee
West Elementary was accepted into the Massachusetts School Building Authority (MSBA) program in December 2017 and is currently taking specific steps prescribed by the state process. Most notably, funding for a “feasibility study” was approved by Town Meeting in May 2018, and the study is expected to be complete in early 2020. As of August 2020, we are currently in module 4 of the process.
History and Background
Originally constructed in 1951, West Elementary School received its first addition in 1956 and housed students from kindergarten through grade six. In September 1988, West Elementary School became a K-5 school when the school system was reconfigured to a K-5 (elementary), 6-8 (middle), and 9-12 (AHS) model.
The second addition to the West Elementary School was completed in 1968. It included a media center, cafeteria, auditorium, faculty room, gymnasium, new offices, nurse space, conference room, reception area and two classroom wings (pods) with a large open area in the center of each pod.
Much of the school was built according to the open-space concept, without walls to separate classes. This style of construction proved to be a major detriment because it offered an abundance of visual and auditory distractions for students and provided no privacy for confidential meetings.
In 2001, classrooms in the two open pods were walled in, leaving a large open area in the center of each pod, creating heating and ventilation issues in classrooms.
Since 2001, West Elementary School has added movable partitions to the open area to create small areas; however, the partitions do not reach the ceiling, do not provide privacy, and do not block sounds from adjoining areas. The partition walls have been used as a last resort but are an unsatisfactory way to create small instructional areas.
West Elementary School has the second largest population of Andover’s ten schools, exceeded only by Andover High School. It currently serves 600 students with a staff of 120 teachers, tutors, instructional assistants and other support staff. The total building square footage is 94,000.
The West Elementary School Building Committee can be reached by emailing Chairperson Paula Colby Clements.
Module 4 Presentations (2020)
- West Elementary/ Shawsheen Preschool Focus Group and Design updates - October 27, 2020
- Construction Deliver Options - September 22, 2020
- Design Charette and Concepts by SMMA - September 22, 2020
- Preparation for the MSBA Board Meeting - August 20, 2020
Module 3 Presentations (2019-20)
- West Elementary Community Presentation - June 21, 2020
- Preferred Schematic Report (final version)- May 5, 2020
- Educational Program located on page 336
- Thoughts on West Elementary Technology - May 14, 2020
- West Elementary Construction Options - April 29, 2020
- Flexitorium Description - April 23, 2020
- Preliminary Design Program Presentation - April 16, 2020
- Preferred Schematic Report- part 2- April 2, 2020
- Preferred Schematic Report- part 1- March 18, 2020
- Preliminary Design Program- February 27, 2020
- West Elementary SBC Agenda- Square Footage Analysis - February 6, 2020
- Educational Plan Update - January 23, 2020
- Envisioning the New West Elementary School- January 15, 2020
- Visioning Education Plan update- January 9, 2020
- West Elementary Visioning Plan - December 18, 2019
- West Elementary Visioning Plan- December 11, 2019
- Preliminary Design Pricing Comparison Table
Previous presentations (2017-2019) are archived here Version OptionsWest Elementary School Building CommitteeHeadline.
|Paula Colby Clements|
Director of Facilities
Chief Operations Officer (pending)