- Human Resources
- Employee Policies
- CHRI (Fingerprint-Based) Checks
National Background (Fingerprint-Based) Checks
Fingerprint-Based Criminal History Record Information (CHRI) Checks
In January 2013, Governor Patrick signed Chapter 459 of the Acts of 2012. "An Act Relative to Background Checks." This new law expands the Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) checks currently used in our schools. Specifically, it requires a fingerprint-based state and national criminal record check for all school employees who may have direct and unmonitored contact with children.
At the discretion of the district, school volunteers and subcontractors/laborers performing work on school premises may be asked to submit to national (CHRI) checks, as well as state CORI checks.
- Prior to being hired into the district, you must submit to a CHRI check and be deemed "suitable" for employment.
Current EmployeesAll current employees (those hired before 9/1/2013) are now required to schedule a background check, according to the staggered schedule below. Please note, the schedule is based on the first letter of the employee’s last name:
A-D January 2015-March 2015
E-K April 2015-August 2015
L-P August 2015-December 2015
Q-Z January 2016-May 2016
*ALL REQUIRED CHECKS FOR PRE-SEPTEMBER 2013 EMPLOYEES SHOULD BE COMPLETED NO LATER THAN JUNE 30, 2016
How to Obtain the National Background Check
The fingerprint process requires 2 steps. The first step is to register online or call 866-349-8130 for an appointment to have your fingerprints taken. The second step requires you to go to a location to have your fingerprints taken. Please read through the registration guide before you register for an appointment to have your fingerprints taken.
1. Visit the MorphoTrust USA Indentogo website to register for a date, time and location to have your fingerprints taken.
- While the current locations to have your fingerprints taken are limited, new sites are being added. The MorphoTrust website will have the most up-to-date list.
- Evening and Saturday appointments are offered, as well as day time appointments.
2. When you are asked to provide a "Provider ID" please use the following codes for the school you work in the most (page 6 of the Registration Guide):
|| Provider ID
| High Plain
| West Elem
| West Middle
| Wood Hill
3. When you are asked about "Applicant Employer Information" please complete the screen as follows:
4. Once you've entered in all the required information, you'll be asked to select a location for the fingerprinting, as well as select a method of payment. You have the option to pay right then online with a credit card, or you can pay on the day of at the fingerprinting location.
*$55 fee for staff who hold a DESE license
*$35 fee for staff who do not hold a DESE license
5. Attend your appointment. Please be sure to bring a copy of your registration confirmation, as well as an approved form of ID. *Please retain the receipt from your appointment*
For More Information About the National Criminal Background ChecksMassachusetts Executive Office of Public Safety and Security
Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education