The first addition was added to the West in 1956 and students from kindergarten through grade six were then housed there. Each grade level contained two classrooms.
The second addition to West was completed in 1970. It included a media center, cafeteria, an auditorium seating 365, a faculty room, a gymnasium, and two classroom pods. New offices were also included as well as a clinic, conference room, and reception area. In September of 1988 West Elementary became a K-5 school when the school system was reconfigured to K-5, 6-8, and 9-12.