South Elementary School
Message from the Principal
On behalf of the students, faculty, and support staff, I welcome you to the South School website! I am confident that you will find the information posted here to be useful and that you will learn more about our school programs and services.
South School serves 580 students attending kindergarten through grade five. Our facility includes a wonderful media center, the hub of our students’ research projects and activities, and twenty-six classrooms-each equipped with internet access. In addition, we have space devoted for art, music, physical education, guidance, reading, and resource programs.
Our collaborate efforts to offer the best possible conditions for optimal student achievement include the following highlights:
• The adoption of a balanced literacy model with an emphasis on small group focused instruction
• The implementation of Every Day Math, a research-based mathematics program at all grade levels
• The promotion of higher order thinking skills through daily problem solving activities in reading and mathematics
• Reading support services at all grade levels
• The implementation of a pro-social skills program, Open Circle, that addresses character and citizenship responsibility
• An inclusion model for special education students
• The integration of technology across content areas
• An active and supportive Parent Teacher Organization that provides many enrichment opportunities to enhance our curriculum
• PTO sponsored “Beyond the Basics” before and after school academic and enrichment programs
• Co-curricular and extra-curricular experiences that include student councils-(spirit, student issues, and community service committees), chorus, homework helpers, newspaper club, Continental Math League, and the ever progressive Go Green committee
• Daily and monthly student recognition programs, Star of the Day and Teammate of the Month
Our mission is to promote “life long” learning habits in all of our students. As a team of parents and staff working collaboratively to provide opportunities for students to grow and learn through experience, we expect our students to continually improve as individuals and collectively, make positive contributions to their school and the community at large.
We welcome you to come visit us and experience for yourself the many wonderful ways that South School makes a difference! If you would like to contact me by email, ( e-mail ), or by phone, (978-623-8830), please feel free to do so.
Dr. Colleen M. McBride
Dr. Colleen McBride Contact
55 Woburn St.
Andover, MA 01810
Ph: (978) 623-8830
Fax: (978) 623-8840
Monday - Friday Hours
8:45 am - 3:30 pm